As Day 1 ended and Day 2 began I was very happy to find that I was able to sleep very soundly, but was frustrated to wake up and step in a puddle. The heater in my room is leaking water. (It is a very, very old wall heater and the knob leaks a bit of water). From there I proceeded to quickly get ready and shower very quickly because we were going to our day of orientation. In getting ready I got my first experience with an Italian shower. We have two bathrooms in my apartment. One is a very large bathroom, but the shower is one of those hoses with a head attached to it. The shower, and the length of the hose, is entirely too small. Also the hot water is very limited because the water heater in our bathroom is very small, so if one person uses it all up, then the other people have to wait for it to fill back up. The other bathroom we have is more of a closet, and the shower head/hose thing is right above the toilet, which is very strange.....
After getting ready we headed to La Limonaia (aka the lemon in Italian) which is restaurant/school/meeting place/technobar called technotown (at night). We started with breakfast in a big dining hall. I had a chocolate croissant and an espresso. The chocolate croissant was very good and the coffee was like a shot of coffee in comparison to size, but the amount of caffeine it delivered was unbelievable. After breakfast we proceeded to the beginning of our boring orientation, which I will spare the details on. Once we were done, we then had lunch on the patio. Our lunch consisted of flatbread appetizers, fried mozzarella balls, fried zucchini, and other delicious treats. My lunch choice for the day was pasta with a garlic sauce and spinach (also delicious). From now on unless otherwise stated, the food should be considered delicious. We had some delicious dessert (an assortment of cakes which had a very different taste and consistency then normal cakes) After lunch it was back to orientation which was fairly boring but informative overall.
After we were done with orientation they took us on a tour of the park/grounds that the the restaurant was on. The park is the location of Benito Mussolini's vacation home. We got to see his home along with the many different things that he put in the park.grounds that surround it. This includes an obelisk from Egypt and an exotic birdhouse. We then went on a tour of the area where the CEA global campus is located (where I will be taking classes, but also the neighborhood where I am living). This was fun because I got to see the many different things in my area and I also got to hang out and meet/talk to more of the people on the group. I am slowly beginning to take pictures and will soon be posting them. I will end the day with two things.
1. Italians (this is specific to Italy) park wherever they can! Tomorrow I will try to take a picture to illustrate how they pretty much park wherever and however they want. There is no rhyme or reason but it is very funny, but is also frightening because you never know when an Italian good weave off the road to park.
2. These are water fountains in Rome.

They are a little above waist level and constantly have water flowing from them. It was a very strange sight to see along with the many people (and dogs) who stop and bend over to drink water out of them.
So until next time! Buona sera!
P.S. I will begin to try to post more pictures on here and maybe of where I am living and my neighborhood.
No comments:
Post a Comment