Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday (February 11th, February 12th, February 13th, and February 14th)


So as I keep doing more and more things, I keep getting more and more behind.....

Ill start with the end of my story about my trip to Naples.

Thursday, February 10th, 2011

As we were walking towards our hostel, we noticed a man walking his moped, and as we turned onto the street of our hostel, he started his moped and drove by us. Right as he drove by us, he reached out off his moped and used a knife to clip my friend Kate's purse off of her shoulder. He immediately sped off and my friend Kate was left without her camera, $250 dollars, her i-pod, three credit cards, and countless other things. This was a situation where there was nothing to do, and Naples, little did we know, is an area with large amounts of crime is, along with a large amount of the Mafia. 

Sadly, there was nothing we could do, but the man who ran our hostel saw it happen and called the police. He was very nice, but Kate was very upset and had to immediately cancel her credit cards. Needless to say, this was a very bad beginning to a trip (but luckily the only place to go from here on our trip was up).

Friday, February 11th, 2011

On Friday morning, we were ready to get out of Naples as quickly as possible, so we hopped on a ferry heading to the small island of Capri, which is where the picture above is from. We took the one hour ferry to Capri. Capri is a small hillside town on an island and is very beautiful. Since it was the off season, there was not very many people on the island, so we spent the say hiking around the island. 


The island was amazing and we had a blast hiking around and seeing the views!

 

After we had lunch at a restaurant looking out over the island, we took the ferry back to Naples, so that we would not have to be out in Naples at night. 

Once we got back to our hostel, we went to a local pizzeria that the owner of our hostel recommended. A side note: before we went to dinner, we ended up meeting a girl at our hostel who came to dinner with Jasmine and Kate and I (these are my friends from my GLS program at UT: Jasmine is in Rome, and Kate is in France). Our friend from the hostel had been traveling around Europe for three months teaching English and site seeing. She was very nice.

The food in Naples is the only upside to being in Naples. Aside from the fact that it is dirty and dangerous, the pizza was by far the best pizza I have had in my entire life! Nothing I have had has ever compared to it. 

After dinner we went back to our hostel and went to bed, because we did not want to be out in Naples at night.

Saturday, February 12th, 2011

We woke up Saturday and then proceeded to head out to explore Naples. (and by explore we followed a map of things to see drawn by the man who ran our hostel with highlighted areas of where we should go and areas where we shouldnt go because of the high Mafia presence) Naples has the potential to be a beautiful city and the downtown part of Naples is very nice, but at night it is a horrible place, with trash everywhere because when the Mafia doesnt agree with the government, they dont pick up the trash (apparently they run the trash collectors) 

Needless to say, we saw all we needed to see, had a quick lunch in the city center, and then we decided to change our train ticket to head out a couple of hours earlier. After a nice train ride back, we hung out a little more in Rome before I headed back to my apartment to call it an early night.

Sunday, February 13th, 2011

Sundays are great days, especially at the end of a long weekend of traveling. I woke up late, did some homework, watched some movies, read a little, and began preparing for my upcoming trip to London. 

The highlight of today was a trip to Kebab King where I had some great Middle Eastern food!

Pretty much this was a very lazy, but a much needed day of rest!

Monday, February 14th, 2011

St. Valentine's Day! 

The beginning of my day is class! Back to class, Mondays are very difficult but they I am usually very happy to get back to school. My first class was of course my Italian class, and after Italian, I went to my class on the Papacy. For class today, we went to visit a church near the Colosseum. The church was formerly a monastery, and has some important history that deals with the changing role of the church in Rome in the early 700's. 

After my classes, I went back to my apartment and hung out until it was time for my Valentine's dinner. My two friends Somer and Mary Alexia and I went out to dinner together to celebrate Valentine's Day. We went to one of my new favorite restaurants called Rossopomodoro (which is a chain, but has some very, very good food) After our dinner, we headed over to get gelato for dessert, where we ran in to some other people from our program. We had some amazing gelato. The gelato I had was Oreo, Dark Chocolate, and Banana. It was a very good combination and the gelato is truly some of the best in Rome!

After dinner, we headed back, and I called it a night! 

Thus ends another blog entry. I am almost a week behind, and I am going to try very hard to catch up in the next couple of days!



  


No comments:

Post a Comment